Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Power of Language - Our Words Create Our Reality

In the instant messaging world around us, and the slang and lingo of social networking sites, we sometimes forget the power of language - to do good - or to hurt. I've been thinking of this, and when I read some poetry by the amazing Elena Liliana Popescu, thought it was a moving example of how a few words can capture an important concept and emotion.

That instant
by Elena Liliana Popescu

A few words, you told yourself,
only a few words, and you created a
whole history whose present
is already yesterday, just as tomorrow
will be only the past of the one
left behind, lost
forever...

Just one word, you tell yourself,
just one word, and you come closer
in your way, to the unexpected step
towards the unknown, with no fear
of that thought that is you and is not,
of that instant in which you can be
and are...
English version: Theodor Damian

It reminded me to think with each word. To know that each word creates my world and makes my new reality. This is the instant I have, and who I am. And my words affect others, for good or ill.

I will be thinking about that for a long while.

Poetry is the gift of language to our hearts and souls. Popescu has shared her wonderful gift. I share her link, if you would like to learn more about this incredible poet, mathmetician, computer geek and humanist. To read more:
http://www.elena-liliana-popescu.ro/en/index.htm



2 comments:

Ashok said...

Thank you so much for the beautiful comment you left on my blog!

I'll try to get plurking again soon - it's wonderful to hear that I'm missed. That's something old girlfriends don't even say to me, so I hear it from anyone rarely indeed.

Ashok said...

Just added you to the friends page of my blog.

I'll try to get back on Plurk soon.